I had been wrestling with the idea of blogging some of my life experiences with the intent of encouraging others who may be going through similar situations. Although the main audience being those who have been attending church for a long time and are caught in the cycle of just "doing church", I believe these stories will reach all audiences with God's help.

I'd rather fail miserably at something I feel God asked me to do than just sit back and wonder what could've, would've or should've happened.


Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cabrera Legacy Part I: The Bible Verse


Let me set the scene:

My mom, dad, brothers and sisters are all sitting in a circle in our living room. We just finished reading Romans 8 and now it's time to recite our Bible verse. My oldest brother has just finished saying his 10-sentence memory verse from one of Paul's letters (SHOW-OFF) and now all eyes are on me! My hands are sweaty, heart beating a million miles-per-second and my face is red. With a big gulp and thinking "here goes nothing", I let it out:

(En Español of course) "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! Proverbs 6:6" Before I could even finish, everyone questioned in unison, "AGAIN?!?!" I responded with "that's all I got" and we all begin to laugh. You see this was my favorite Bible verse when I was a kid mainly because during our family devotional time, we had to recite a Bible verse and John 3:16 was not an option. So I went to the book of Proverbs (not for wisdom but for easy verses). I found this "ant" verse... read it... memorized and made it my own!

Now we all know that nothing just happens by coincidence, right? So what was God trying to tell me about an "ant" that was so important? After all, to me ants were merely victims of The Giant Man (me) who loved to squish little villagers (them) - or an occasional science experiment that involved a magnifying glass and the sun. Well this little ant is worth taking a look at (according to this Proverb). They are admired for their hard work-ethics and wise planning. Could it be that God was trying to prepare my work-ethics for what would become a difficult road ahead for me? You see every job I have ever had I have had to work hard to be successful - I didn't get anything handed down to me based on "who I know". I believe this verse was rooted in my heart and would rise-up during these difficult times in different jobs that I had. Coincident? I think NOT!

"So faith come by hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ". Romans 10:17 (NLT)

I had a chance to interview my daughter and asked her what her favorite Bible verse was since she memorized a bunch of them. Here answer - Deuteronomy 31:6 "So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” (SHOW-OFF)!

What was your favorite Bible verse growing up?

I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. As someone trying to find small ways to pull God's word into my boys' lives in conversation, this post gives front and center examples of how His word applies to everyday circumstances. As always, loving it - and like the Word, I can apply your blisdom (that's blog wisdom) to parenting.

    ReplyDelete