I had been wrestling with the idea of blogging some of my life experiences with the intent of encouraging others who may be going through similar situations. Although the main audience being those who have been attending church for a long time and are caught in the cycle of just "doing church", I believe these stories will reach all audiences with God's help.

I'd rather fail miserably at something I feel God asked me to do than just sit back and wonder what could've, would've or should've happened.


Saturday, January 5, 2013

My New Year's Rez = Fake It Till I Make It

Every year many people make New Year's resolutions right around this time of the year. Some decide to diet, others have career-related goals and others have spiritual resolutions. Statistics say only 12% of those who have resolutions actually stick to them - don't be discourage... You and I are part of that 12%. 

So here I am... Throwing it out there... My new year's resolution is (drumroll please)... FAKE IT TILL I MAKE IT!! According to Wiki, this phrase is used to "imitate confidence so that as the confidence produces success, it will generate real confidence." 

Now I know what you are thinking, "that's a weak resolution". And you may be right but let me explain. 1 Corinthians 11:1 says that as Christians we should imitate Christ in all we do and I try my best to do that. However, we have an enemy whose nickname is The Accuser and he goes around....well accusing people every time they do something wrong. So rather than falling under his schemes, I will take on a FAKE IT TILL I MAKE IT attitude in 2013. This way when he accuses me I will imitate confidence IN CHRIST so that as the confidence IN CHRIST produces success, it will generate real confidence IN CHRIST. 

Now we also know that Philippians 1:6 says that God began a good work in us and will complete it by the time Jesus comes back (paraphrased) but the problem is that we are on earth while He is completing this work. So in the meantime, we should work at being Christ-like without feeling like we will never get there - like the Accuser always tells us. That's why I am taking on this resolution! It's a Win-Win situation!

I'm going to FAKE IT TILL I MAKE IT in every area of my life:
  • If someone at work upsets me, I'm gonna FAKE IT TILL I MAKE IT
  • If things don't go the way I want a home, I'm gonna FAKE IT TILL I MAKE IT
  • If my prayers aren't answered immediately, I'm gonna FAKE IT TILL I MAKE IT
  • If things in life don't go as planned, I'm gonna FAKE IT TILL I MAKE IT
Who's with me? I'd love to hear what your New Year's resolution is! We can encourage each other throughout the year!

And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you. (Philippians 1:6 AMP)

6 comments:

  1. I see the truth in idea of fake it to you make it. At time though it is not as easy as it seems. I find it hard at times to feed of the energy of Jesus Christ. I find it hard to draw close to him and feel like a hypocrite if I were to attempt to "fake" as if I were. I have attend church all my life and have read the bible. I believe in God, but struggle with finding the ability to serve him to the full without being hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nate thank you for sharing! I applaud you for your honesty and for being “REAL”! The truth is what you are going through is common for Christians who have attended church for a while and this is the audience I hope to reach with these blogs as I have also gone (or am going) through similar situations.

      I too am one who does not like to be a hypocrite and struggle with feeling hypocritical when I write these blogs. The “Accuser” always tells me things like, “how can you write this if you aren’t following through with this 100%”. That is exactly why I wrote this blog! This has been a long trial-and-error basis for me!

      What has helped me combat his accusations is knowing my place in God’s salvation plan for us. We are all sinners in need of a Savior – Jesus! If I were to depend on my own strength I would fail every time. But when I put myself behind Jesus, I can do all things!

      For me, this begins every morning in prayer. I’m a HOT MESS without praying in the morning! I ask God to help me represent Jesus well and stand on His promises by reciting some bible verses (see below). Hope it helps you! Read 2 Corinthians 5 when you get a chance. It helped me.

      Sorry, a bit long-winded! Stay blessed!

      Izzy

      Romans 8:1
      John 14:12
      2 Corinthians 2:14
      Philippians 4:13, 19

      Delete
  2. I love this attitude...so transparent..."I'd rather boast about my weaknesses so that the glory of Christ may dwell in me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A cameo from Nadya on my blog! Honored! :)
      We are all imperfect humans trying to serve a perfect God....there is always room for improvement! Thank God for Jesus!! Send my love to the family!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Ishmael for your counsel and I will take the time and read the scriptures that you have suggested. I'm happy to see that you are able to put your trust in Jesus Christ ransom sacrifice and lay your burdens upon. For years i have been taught to do this and have seen the benefits that many have had from doing so. How sad it is to say that for myself I haven't been able to build the courage and the faith in Jesus to do so. It's like i have lived all my life and understood and read the scriptures but never allowed it to take seed in my heart. But i have gotten to a point in my life were i realize that I need God in my life, but i don't know where to even begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bro it starts with a relationship with Jesus. I wrote a blog titled "It's all about a relationship". Check it out.

      I'd love to catch up with you and talk more about this. Email me your contact info if you're interested.

      Cabrera.ismael@gmail.com

      Keep your head up bro! God is not done with you!

      Delete